University of Strathclyde
Date / Duration
October 2020 / 12 wks
Key Works Delivered on Site
Mass Soil Mixing
Topsoil Strip Volume
We were employed by the main contractor, Morrison Construction to complete the enabling works contract to form stabilised piling mats and reduce external make-ups for the new National Manufacturing Institute Scotland (NMIS). This flagship development is located within the new Advanced Manufacturing Innovation District Scotland in the Renfrewshire campus of the University of Strathclyde.
Project challenges / GDL solutions
- Extremely challenging ground conditions meant that we had to vary our ground improvement technique to accommodate differing conditions.
- Working to tight timescales for completion of our works to allow access for the follow-on contractor.
- A phased handover of the completed piling platforms to the follow-on contractor allowed early foundation construction.
Project benefits for the client
Download as a PDF < Back
- Our solution allowed the reuse of site won material to form the temporary piling platforms which in turn reduced the requirement to export site worn materials and replace with imported virgin aggregates.
- The limited lorry movements not only minimised disruption to the local community but reduced the carbon footprint of the contract and offered financial savings.