Baldovie Energy from Waste Combined Heat and Power Facility
Key works delivered on-site
Earthworks Cut/Fill, Stabilisation, Imported aggregates, Construction of Piling Mat, Minor Civils
Project start date and duration
Jan 2018 – April 2018
Size of site/develop-able area
Top soil strip volume (if applicable)
Size of site/development area
Cut-to-fill operation volume (if applicable)
Our team has delivered a comprehensive enabling works package to deliver an energy from waste combined heat and power facility in Dundee. The team also established a piling mat within the main site as well as a compound and laydown area.
Our team was challenged to re-use contaminated materials with the site works in order to achieve a more environmentally-friendly and overall cost-effective project outcome for the client.
WHAT MEASURES / SOLUTIONS DID GDL IMPLEMENT TO OVERCOME THE PROJECT CHALLENGES?
In order to overcome the project challenges set by the client, our team:
- Re-engineered on-site materials that were intended to go to landfill and be replaced with imported aggregates.
- Combined our technical and stabilisation capabilities to provide a combined stabilised and stone Piling Mat, which allows us to achieve the required bearing pressures with a reduction in imported stone aggregate.
- Remediated formation by the use of cement stabilisation over an area of 4,000m2 proposed for use as a laydown area, removing the need for material removal from site and replacement with imported aggregates.
PROJECT BENEFITS FOR CLIENT
Working with GDL offered a number of benefits for Standardkessel Baumgarte which includes
Download as a PDF < Back
- 1,500 truck movements saved
- Cost efficiencies through savings made on the reduction of the export of contaminated materials and the reduced need to import stone for the Piling Platform.
- Volume saved from landfill: 5,500m3
- Volumes of materials recycled/re-deployed on the site: 5,500m3